Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Getting Into Heaven

A little while ago I heard the County mosquito sprayer go by slowly on my street. I didn't get up to look, but I know it by sound after all these years. Besides, I wouldn't want to step outside until it's long past. When I was a kid, we used to run behind the noisy bastard and suck up it's fumes as if was the only important thing in the world to be protected from mosquitoes. Mosquitoes, hell, I imagine it protected us from vampires and wolves! When I worked at Mosquito University, part of my duties as exterminator was to drive a tractor version of that sprayer around campus early in the morning. It was bad enough as it was when it drifted onto my skin instead of all blowing behind me like it was supposed to do, so I wore a half-face respirator while driving to keep from inhaling it. I'm not sure I did myself a bit of good, but I suppose I scared a few early risers who happened to notice my gear. God knows I killed billions of mosquitoes. Maybe I'll never get into heaven... Or maybe I'll get in first...


6 comments:

  1. Ah, the ol' Buzz Bomb! Yep, I've inhaled cubic feet of that crap too...one thing for sure, I'm no mosquito!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the days before taxes, neuropathy, and shoulder operations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mosquitoes. They are here because of something, at least to torture me all night.
    I tried to kill one. Result was very symbolic; big bloody stain on the wall. Of course, blood was mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there is a heaven, the mosquitos will meet you there. You saw Places in the Heart, right? Sally Field - at the end, when they passed communion, the dead husband and the dead boys who killed him were sitting there together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "When I was a kid, we used to run behind the noisy bastard and suck up it's fumes"....that explains soooo much. Now, I can sleep tonight.

    They don't spray for mosquitos round heah anymore. Guess they're part of the wetlands or something...

    ReplyDelete

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)