Monday, February 26, 2007

A Mundane Thing

Don't bother me, I'm on the job!

A week or ten days ago, I was carrying a laundry basket through the door to the washroom when I just smashed my left hand into the door frame! I couldn't believe what a long scar I'd made and how much it bled. Being diabetic, my healing is slow and I've been fighting it and babying it ever since. I try to keep band aids on it all the time. Aside from wanting to protect it from further bashing since it's sore, this IS after all the hand I do my toilet business with (no Arabic nonsense, I'm just left-handed) and I'd like to keep it clean, thank you. So I've been through a lot of band aids lately, a thing I would ordinarily not wear for years at a time. Back when I was younger or still not diabetic, I'd heal fast; at worst I'd only have to wear a band aid the day of the injury. Now it's ten days later and I can tell it's healing, but it's still tender and doesn't like to be BASHED against anything, not even me.

Today I replaced those semi-shoddy stuck-together old cheap ones with some new Johnson & Johnson Band-Aids! Some kind of flexible plastic/fabric (in packages that rips open without fighting me), and they peel apart without making me feel incompetent, and therefore makes me feel GOOD that I'm a man (human)!

Isn't it pitiful what mundane, cheap-ass crap can bring ecstasy to an aging unpleasant man?


5 comments:

  1. Bandages are an important part of surviving.

    In my mind there are two decent forms of bandages. One is the kind of liquid bandage that you paint on, blow like hell on until the pain stops and then recoat after a day or so.

    An even better bandage is one by BAND-AID called Advanced Healing, which costs an arm and a leg, but you leave on for several days, at least if you treat it reasonably well. It bonds to itself when you heat it up and stays put better than any other bandage I've ever found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I didn't aim very high, I admit. Not often in the mood for research these days, even though it might be at my fingertips here!

    Thanks, Loren!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge fan of the J&J flexi strips myself. Don't forget to use tons of neosporin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stowed my middle finger on my right hand yesterday, so I know all about the bathroom difficulties. Ugh. It ain't purdy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goddess, take Alisa's advice!

    ReplyDelete

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)