Friday, July 11, 2008

Youtube Sometime YouFaceInYouAssHole

I listen to a lot of videos on the Internet. You'll note I say listen when I should say watch. I find more of them satisfactory to my ear than to my eye. I like to watch the videos of artists actually performing, I care nothing for all the clever devils who have concocted clever montages of Jimi Hendrix or Frank Zappa or Janis Joplin. I want to see the goddamn musical performance, not some piss ant video that's been tacked on after the musicians were dead! But at times I am willing to watch a little of even the worst musical performances (bad audio, usually).

Of course there has been some real drivel recorded and put online. Old interviews with John Lennon and Bob Dylan in the back seat of a car--I don't even know what the fuck they're talking about and I suspect they were stoned and also didn't know at the time! There's others. But the point is to say they stink and are a waste of time, so I dread to give you the links and add to your boredom level! And many videos turn out to be Covers of famous songs by the garage band next door, even when their title is the name of an artist coupled with a famous song. You click on it and discover that it's Bozo's Hairy Armpit Artistry that nobody ever heard of except the kids on their block. It's balderdash, a vast deception, and yet there is no authority standing at the portals to keep such deceptive trash out (or at least labelled)--I've never listened to even one of those after the 5 or 10 seconds it took me to figure out what sort of deception they were perpetrating!

Short note: Lately a lot of Youtube videos have shown up without any sound at all! Not all of them, though, or I would have thought Youtube was trying to force people to sign up or pay. Now I don't know what to conclude.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't there some kind of copyright wrangle going on at YouTube just now?

    Maybe that's why some videos have no sound.

    I went looking for a Sinatra song last week, which I was sure had been there a few months ago, but it had disappeared. I noticed a lot more of the home-made versions you describe had surfaced.

    I suppose live performances can't be copyright, but anyone using sound from a cd and adding pics would be guilty of infringement.

    It'll probably finish up with nothing but home made stuff on there eventually - then goodbye YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard, if that's what's going on at youtube. Maybe your guess is right. I just don't pay full attention any more. Turning into an old man who likes to sleep TOO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

    Yes, I've just come across the copyright problem at Photobucket - I tried to upload a video I made ages ago with a Merle Haggard track from one of my cds, and some pics and photos, and Photobucket blocked my upload - said it detected copyrighted material.

    In the past I've uploaded at least 20 similar ones with no problem.

    So maybe they'll be coming to get me soon!

    I've deleted some of the worst offenders now and just kept them on my hard drive. If they find the rest - tough!

    By the way, I passed my Citizenship test on 19 June and will be taking the Oath at a ceremony on 25 July in OKC.

    I'll soon be a "murican, like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never known much about all this or even tried to think abou it. On top of the possible copyright violations, I can see where I might be "using someone else's bandwidth" and just not recognizing it as such. I always understood about the bandwidth and tried not to commit that sin when it came to still photos, but I gues I'm not as moral about these videos. I don't know why. No doubt I used to have some explanation!

    ReplyDelete

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)