Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Stroke and A Bad Temper

Helpless Helpless Helpless
Sorry if I keep bouncing back to this topic!

The oddest part of the stroke seemed to be that I have no notion of it, no memory. I don't remember waking up in bed or rising from bed or falling down (from wherever I fell), I only remember becoming conscious on the bedroom rug that morning and wondering why I couldn't get up or even sit up. I could flail a bit, so I got hold of my cane and smacked everything that might make noise. It took a long time to make enough noise to be heard! Days later I saw that I had scabs on my right elbow and right leg that were thicker than I'd ever had before! No idea if those occurred while I was falling or while I was flailing. When I was finally heard making noise, everything went from bad to worse. If I'd had any will-power at the time, I might have argued about it, but the ambulance was sent for.

("Somebody got lucky, but it was an accident...")

Oh, well. When I came home a month later, I bought one of those air horns that crazed football fans blow at games. Those are pretty loud. I have since lost track of where it is, so I need to go look for it. (note: found it!) With good luck, I'll never need it, but I couldn't help remembering how helpless that feeling was. I didn't need to cry after I knew it was a stroke because by then some help had arrived. If I hadn't been so mad, though, I'd have cried plenty when I was still on the floor! So I conclude that having a bad temper sometimes helps the helpless!

I hope you fare well and stay angry!

3 comments:

  1. It sounds scary to me. One of my biggest fears - something I'm fairly certain will happen someday - is that I'll die and nobody will find me until I start to rot. I just hope my cats don't get too hungry before then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might have to start sucing up to your relations and your friends so you won't get eaten by the cats.

    My grandfather didn't die like that, but only because his very adult children hounded him to get rid of all the cats (both tame and feral) that he fed--there were dozens! He lived far out in the woods with no really close neighbors, so his kids worried about the cannibal cats, but also about the dust, allergens, gerns that was being brought in by the cats 24 hours a day! I thought it sounded pretty cool, but that grandfather was very cool.

    My other grandfather (he was a drip) always offered to give me money for a haircut.

    The cool grandfather only grinned and asked, "How long did it take you to grow your hair that long?" VERY cool.

    Two guesses which grandfather made me sorry to hear that he died!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sucking up! fingers can't coordinate!!!

    ReplyDelete

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)