Saturday, July 26, 2008

Goodnight

[I like the line about the faucet--it sings well!]


Loudon Wainwright - Lullaby

Shut up and go to bed
Put the pillow under your head
I'm sick and tired of all your worries
Shut up and say goodnight
Say your prayers and turn off the light
I'm sick and tired of all your sob-stories

Shut up and shut your eyes
No more histrionics no more college tries
Stop pushing stop shoving stop straining
Shut your mouth and button your lip
You're a late night faucet that's got a drip
All you're doing is merely complaining

The excuse that you're crazy is useless
You're not biting you're barking you're toothless
But you're ruthless (you're Rufus)

Shut up and count some sheep

And do me a favour don't bitch in your sleep
No more agony please no more sorrow
Shut up and catch some Z's
Ice cream with a cherry plus big pretty please
I promise we'll resume tomorrow...Goodnight

[You ever had this conversation?] p.s. I assume there's a hint about context when "Rufus" is mentioned--Loudon's now slightly famous son is named Rufus. I never ran into Rufus until I was checking out other people's renditions of Leonard Cohen's song, Chelsea Hotel, about Janis Joplin, etc. Not bad.]

This link's for George's ears. The rest of us will probably just read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)