Saturday, November 03, 2007

Meandering And Dithering

I have occupied myself with small details, arranging things in my primary rooms (bedroom, study), all without moving any heavy furniture, of course, over and over again. If you read TRS, you know some of this. But I keep working at it. Today I decided the small awkward desk in my bedroom needed a "post" or leg to support the fold-out extension. It may be nicely balanced for light use, but once or twice I'd leaned on the wrong part of it and the desk started to tip over in that direction. Bad move with the new tuner/CD player perched on it. But that led me out to the garage, in front of which I saw many branches I'd meant to pick up and burn and so I ended up on that side trip for an hour or two because I found more debris to pick up as I went. Shit. What fun.

Anyway, I wonder now if I'll ever repair or replace this stereo out here in the study? It was worth a lot of money, or cost a lot, in the old days but my tastes are not so demanding or esoteric any more. The amount I'd spend for someone to even check all these components might cost as much as some cheap-ass player that would probably suit me OK. I'd try to interest my cousin, the retired electrician, in testing the power amp and pre-amp, but he never seems to get interested in my sorry ass lately. I can't blame him. He makes noises like he's gotten better since his heart surgery some months ago, but I find him evasive and impossible to engage in conversation about anything for long. I doubt he's "changed", but I guess he's made his adjustments to it. He had another heart surgery decades ago when he was young; this one was probably even less tolerable since he knew what was to come. Possibly he's just old and crotchety, like others I know. Anyway, I'm not his problem.

I wanted to buy one of those armrest pillows (cushions) one uses to sit up and read in bed, but Wal*Mart didn't have them when I was looking the last couple of times. It's taking a long time, so I guess I'll have to shop elsewhere, even if I only phone other Wal*Marts! I've never really found anything that they didn't have when I went there, so this is a new experience. Other stores, yes, but I seldom shop at other stores.

I got the wild hair to buy a large or just full-size desk and I see that all the new ones are steel, or artificial steel, or plastic or something. I wouldn't mind a used one, but there again, that requires driving and shopping, two things I abhor and despise. la di dah.

I bought some cute animal fluffies (my name) for my niece and nephew. I hid them away because I'm not sure if they are Christmas presents yet or not. If I can't think of anything else good, they're Xmas presents. Bought myself an $11 paper shredder--not that I have so many important papers to shred, just that I hate tearing them up by hand or having to remember to take them to the burning barrel. Lazy is my middle name. Other than "Lucky", of course.



5 comments:

  1. Hi, Ron, I know what you mean about stereos and how they can be a source of endless problems. Every CD player I have owned has lasted only maybe 3 or 4 years before it gives out (and I take real good care of them, too). I guess they're designed that way. I haven't had an MP3 player long enough to determine if they suffer from this same glitch. Hopefully the lack of moving parts means that they'll last longer. The only problem is most of my music is still in vinyl (and I have yet to see an MP3 player that plays vinyl!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky, indeed.

    I'm with you about driving and shopping. Hate them both.

    I bought a shredder a few years ago and never took it out of its box.

    I am experiencing the death of my second portable DVD player. This one only lasted 15 months. I thought the brand, Toshiba, actually meant something. Wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if that's noble or nuts, about the shredder! I don't insist that you need one (I never have till now), but why buy it? I'd hate to be near you when the wind blows hard, you must take flight and glide to the next county like a leaf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So You have two middle names!
    Lucky one:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, but good lucky or the other?

    ReplyDelete

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)