Sunday, February 14, 2010

Lucille Clifton

Did you ever hear the name Lucille Clifton?
She died yesterday before I’d ever heard of her.
I surfed somewhere on the Internet
Where they quoted one of her poems in full.
Yes, I liked it, and so I read a second one—
And now I regret never knowing her name,
Never knowing Her at all.
She was a black woman eleven years older than I am
And probably had little in common with me
Except poetry, which is to say,
At least a portion of Everything!

I think the world is poorer now, though
I don’t know any way to inform them
Except by writing this, even when I’m unsure
How anyone will ever know who I am!
Maybe in an ideal world
One poet will lead to another,
Like dominoes that fall.

rcs.

Current draft: 2/14/2010
Created on 2/14/2010 4:27 PM

2 comments:

  1. Catching up again.....I like your "Silver Spoon", and this one, and Ms Clifton's poem is lovely too. I shall investigate her work further.
    There are so many modern poets in the USA - it's hard to keep up with 'em all. I wander around looking at one, then another, then come back here, and realise you are just as good as any....on a good day. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never try very hard to keep up with living poets. I think it's because I'm afraid that too much attention elsewhere will leave me too busy to write my own. I guess I long ago gave up on the idea that I can do everything that may occur to me! I thank you for your attention and your compliments. Wish the world (even some of it) shared your views.

    ReplyDelete

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)