Monday, March 22, 2004

The Monster In The Closet

I don’t know the statistics, but it seems like there’s a number of blog sites that stay very anonymous. Some for crazy reasons, perhaps, others just for their privacy. I read a one-entry blog the other night at Something In The Dark about a closet monster in some girl’s bedroom. I wondered, of course, if someone was exercising their literary penchant or if somewhere there was a girl really worried about the unseen monster in her closet and that her best friend was just laughing at her for mentioning it.

She had no email address and no comments. Maybe she just wanted to vent and now she’ll be all right. One can hope so, because we can’t do a thing for her from here! An email address is so easy to get that I can’t imagine the girl doesn’t know enough to get one, especially if she wanted any advice or support. Of course, what good “Internet advice” might be is extremely arguable. Whether she’s in trouble or not, she obviously wanted to provoke a reaction. Like a child doing something infernally stupid or wrong just to get some attention. For good or bad reasons, we all need attention.

There’s a young woman at a blog called “Growing Up Girl” who (lately at least) writes practical advice about dating and she’s entertaining. I’d tell her so, but she has no place to leave comments and no email address. I don’t understand. I don’t write a blog to be famous, but I certainly hope for and welcome any praise or communication I might get. All news is interesting news, I figure, at least until it’s all the Same Old News. But she either writes for a small group of friends or else just for herself. I can appreciate that attitude if that’s what she’s doing, but I’d still like to tell her, “Good job!”

As long as I’m working so hard to be pleasant, let me mention a pleasant young woman who doesn’t try so hard to be anonymous, Leslie over at My Obsession. She can be commented to or reached--her problem is just that she just doesn’t manage to write often enough to suit me. She has, though, what I consider”a good sensibility” and I enjoy that any time I can find it. She’s not a talkaholic like so many bloggers, and that’s a shame, but maybe it’s reasonable. The rest of us aren’t always saying anything just because we’re talking—writing—filling up screen space.

Anyway, listen, Closet Girl, if you can hear me, there are no monsters in the closets. All the monsters are in us. Avoid those, too, when you can. Otherwise, sleep with a flashlight, they’re cheap, provide good light, and make a good defensive weapon.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." William S. Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)