Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Pandora's Box Was Not A Sex Movie!

I don't think my musical tastes have changed much, though my priorities have. In my heyday I liked all kinds of music, though as I've aged, Rock has taken a little bit more of a back seat. I mostly listen (if at all) to the rock 'n' roll that was popular when I was 15 to 30. Still, Buddy Holly and the Old Rockers are worth listening to still. I liked Progressive Country music when it was hot and I lived in Austin, but I've got less patience with all of these modern "pure country boys", who make me wonder where (other than Hollywood) they could have studied and acquired such backwoods accents. Even so, it's great sometimes to listen to Patsy Cline or Emmylou Harris (or others). I listen to the Pandora online radio where they let you "design" the kind of music you want to hear on that station. I have 14 or more stations, named with such various artists as Bob Dylan, B.B. King, the Beatles, Ellen Foley, Fairport Convention, Frank Zappa, Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell, Julie London, Miles Davis, Nancy Wilson, Paul Simon, Ray Charles, and Tim Buckley. Remember that each of those names only represents the station and multiple other artists. No opera or classical, though mainly because those choices are not usually offered. Speaking of great music, I recently bought one of those "tin boxes" from Wal-Mart, 3 CD's by Tony Bennett, and I like almost every song on them! I quit listening to Frank Sinatra years ago because his pretense of having a negro hipster persona on-stage or between songs gave me the willies. Period.

p.s. If I left out your favorites, they are probably contained in the station called "Rock and Roll" or the other categories above. No offense intended to Eric Clapton or Janis Ian or many others!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)