Monday, April 13, 2009

Neoteny: First of the Noteworthy Words

This is the first of a new category (or Label) for me called Noteworthy Words. It may or may not last very long, though it's seldom been said I was short of words!!!

I used to think that I knew what neoteny referred to from when I took an entomology course in the college where I worked many years ago (how often does the word come up in my life?), but I was mistaken slightly about the meaning. It seems that it does not refer to the Newness (or babyish appearance) of young animals, but is instead a word used to refer to the survival of some aspects or appearances of the young in a mature animal. The word's still interesting and still comes up damn seldom, but it sticks in my craw that I DID NOT (as I egotistically presumed) know what it meant!

Shitfire! (Not to put too fine a point on it!)


p.s. There are also evidently some specialized kinds of neoteny (medical, psychological) that I ignored because I don't want my brain to explode, thank you very much!

2 comments:

  1. I will enjoy your words, in any form. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some have noted that my words come in the "B" form. That is, the "BS" form! Thanks, though.

    ReplyDelete

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)