Monday, March 12, 2007

No Responses

I answer a lot of questions in the Blogger Help Group and sometimes I get good thank-you's. Always good to hear that "Thank you, masked man!" On the other hand, sometimes there is no reply and I wonder what happened. Do some of the people begging for help fail to find their way back to the right thread (the line of answers provoked by their original question)? Do some of them get back and don't understand the jargon and then just fade away from us? It could happen and there's no way to prevent it.

A newbie has to be an eager beaver to some extent, someone willing to dig in his/her heels and keep asking "But what about this?" And they do have to leave a bread trail of some sort to find their thread amid dozens, if not hundreds, of threads! I suppose some of them actually take their football and go home (go to Wordpress or some other blogging enabler). People are always threatening to go. Once upon a time, even I did! Now I'm too vested; I have all these answers for and even more familiarity with Blogger. Once upon a time, it was hard for me. Now, it may not quite be easy, but it's Doable!

Still, the newbies keep coming, wave after wave, knowing little and quickly wanting to achieve great things! (The most tremendous things!) They want to know how one and one equals two. Worse yet, some of them want to know how one and one equals three! Shit, I don't know! It tests one's communication skills to explain some of this stuff. Where does one start? At the beginning? But where's the beginning?! How much detail do they need? Do they need screen shots? Are they as logical as me? (Or as logical as I profess to be!) Are my explanations too long or too short? How will I ever know when so many of them make no responses?

Well, I just hang my head and go on. I ASSUME that the thank-you's I get are typical and that I am a great help to all mankind. Probably I'm full of beans. But that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!


6 comments:

  1. Here's a response, Ron!

    Thanks for your assistance via e-mail yesterday. With the information you provided I've discovered how to adjust line-spacing. I'm still unsure whether this will solve the problem long-term but time will tell. If not I'll write to Blogger.

    Many thanks, again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good, good, good! (I hope!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord knows you've certainly pulled my ass out of the Blogger fire many times....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just emailed you for help a second ago. I was wondering, does Google pay you?? Why don't they have their own damned tech support??

    I really love my blogs and I'm blown away that I don't have to pay for them. But what good is the 'preview" button if it looks nothing like the end result?

    MORE importantly, why should I have to do html code if it's known to screw up the WHOLE blog and hours of work that I put in? One of my blogs is on behalf of stray cats and if it looks crappy noone will read it!

    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

    Thanks for letting me rant. You should get paid as a shrink or something!!!! Sorry I'm not usually this ANGRY AT GOOGLE!

    *Kisses*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Google and Blogger have their own corporate view and it's WAY different from anything you or I would come up with. Maybe that's the reason that they're rich and we're not. They are well on their way to being as hated as U.S. Steel, Texaco, and General Motors. Be that as it may, Blogger employees only pass this way infrequently, sometimes stopping to answer 5 or 6 questions at a time, then moseying on down the road! Volunteers like me (there are many) try to fill the void for anxious people who may only have simple problems. Some of them, usually not me, can untangle difficult problems!

    Other answer sent by email!

    ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron thank you so much for your help! It was great. I'm no longer having a meltdown, see? Amazing.

    If you hadn't suggested the safety copy - can you imagine?? Six months from now I would be spending hours making copies of each post - now I know to copy each one the day I create it.

    Merci. M

    ReplyDelete

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)