Monday, December 18, 2006

Eyesight and Fried Shrimp

I had a busy day, or at least a tiring one. I woke up somewhat late and felt tired from the beginning. Then I needed to confirm with the Eye Center whether I could come alone (and drive myself home). They said Yes, but added I could bring someone to listen in to the consultation and instructions, so I did that. Someone will have to drive me home on Jan. 2, don't you know!

There were all kinds of eye measurements (More?!) to be taken and though I was not blinded or dilated, my eyes were poked and prodded and it was all I could do to mostly not blink. I really wanted to close my eyes during some of that, but of course they said, "No, don't do that!"

I didn't get mad, but I did want to ask them what kind of tough guy did they think I was?! Jeez. Well, at least I got out of driving that trip into town.

Later in the day, evening was closing and I had to hurry and order some fried shrimp from the nearby restaurant I often use. By the time I came out of there with my "platter" in a sack, it was getting pretty dim outside for a guy with cataracts, one especially bad. I don't think I see as much light as I used to or as much as others do. But it's only 4 or 5 blocks to get back home, so I didn't squash any squirrels or urchins in the street. I don't think I'll drive further than that again until after I've had the cataract surgery. Driving is starting to get on my nerves. I see so unclearly out of my left eye, you wouldn't like to be on the road with me, I don't think! Don't you love it when I remind you of all the reckless people who are out there on the road with you?

I've gotten some nifty thank-yous lately via Email for helping a few people with their Blogger problems. Sometimes they really make me feel good. I almost want to wrap my arm around their shoulder and take them out for a beer. But I don't even drink beer! They would all have to be long-distance drinks, anyway, so I'll have to stick to "You're welcome!"


4 comments:

  1. Hell, you don't need to be half-blind for driving to get on your nerves! It does that for "normal-sighted" people!(whatever THAT is!) As a matter of fact, blurred vision COULD be to your advantage, you know, make you less afraid of what you WOULD see!(Sorry, that's the best I can pull-up on a Monday...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I say thanks? If not, thanks!
    I go have that long distance beer tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely keep yourself safe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any excuse to go on a beer run, Mushy!!

    ReplyDelete

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)