Thursday, August 21, 2008

Everything About Me

If you subscribe or even if you don't, beware of my poems' first editions, for they are sometimes revised 3 times in the first 30 minutes.


Kleptomaniac

I had hardons in my life
For some very sweet soft women,
Day and night,
And night and day overlapping—
I had Boogie in my britches
That seemed like forever sometimes,
Stretching from my itchy eyebrows to the stars in my eyes
And right back down to my mindless stares
And vivid vacuous ire I shared
With nearly total strangers!
Now everything else about me has always grossly stunk
Of some old cheese I dreamed or
Of thwarted themes of what I sire
And tumultuous winds and terminated fire
Until this time around, at least--but now
That Boogle in my soul reached out and knocked me down
And left my lying here collapsed, elapsed,
Like some old smelly inner tube from that last flat bicycle tire!

How do you get this way, this bad?
I don't have enough hard lusts to go around,
Not even for the girls around here--
I never did, I never will,
Although the reasons why I must
Vary according to sickness, sadness,
Availability, enthusiasm,
And lastly my failure of will as time goes by.

"I wish you'd get a move on,"
I say to some, some say to me,
And things are left that way, like in a dream,
Vague and never clear
While everything we'd like to say is left unsaid
And all that we once could feel so easy
Is hard to even steal a glance of
And only comes back to us at all
With the firm reminder of one of those old soft songs
About the gloss of shoes that tightly fit,
Or blues guitars that gently weep or stubborn men who won't.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is my favorite poem of yours that I've read. Love the sound, love the cynicism, love the word choice and the metaphors.

    ReplyDelete

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)