Wednesday, September 08, 2004

The Truth About The Dolt And The Bear

It occurs to me that I should be more forthcoming about that dolt thing. Though I have no proof, it has been my observation that Google's image searches are sometimes extremely misleading. I have surmised that the only reason many photos are associated with a search word is because the word occurs Somewhere in the same web site, possibly completely unrelated to the photo they've located. That's pretty lame, but that seems to be how it works.

The truth is that I've seen equal and greater inaccuracies many times in both Google image search and the Yahoo image search. If one looks up "bear", you'll mostly get photos of some kind of bear. But you'll also get photos unrelated to Mr. Bear! You'll get dogs named Bear and boats named Bear and half-hits like that. And you'll get those completely inaccurate hits, like in a site about a man retiring from his job, you'll get his photo because he says, "This is a good thing, I don't think I could bear another year!"

Therefore, Miss Not-A-Dolt, I confess, I knew it all the time. The system is dysfunctional and so am I, so I milked the situation for all it was worth.

It was fun; I may do it again.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: "Politics and crime—it's the same thing." Michael Corleone, Godfather Movie, Part III

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)