Friday, June 06, 2008

Hattie Carroll

I have always continued to find Bob Dylan's "Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" a touching, heartbreaking song. But, evidently, I'd long forgotten that it was factual and not just one of Dylan's apocryphal songs. I feel like a moron, sorta, but I guess it's just the lucky white man in me. I didn't HAVE to remember it. I wondered if William Zantzinger is still alive. If so, I don't know why. But he was only 22 in 1963 and Wikipedia says he was alive and still rich and making trouble in 2001. Shit. Sometimes, it's bad for me to review the past, because our past in America was so hateful.

I am glad to hear that Dylan continues to perform it in concert. I don't think America should be allowed to forget such vicious crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)