Thursday, June 12, 2008

Going Out To Eat

A Sunday finally arrived when all my eight immediate family was in town and not sick so that I could go ahead and fulfill my promise made a few weeks earlier to buy every one's lunch at Red Lobster. I don't go out to eat very much any more. I may order food and take it home, that's as close as I usually get. But everybody ate at the table, I had a good time, and then I had to pay. Others in the family have paid at other times, so I can only claim that it was my turn, not that it was any inordinate generosity. But I am generally too poor to be the purveyor of much generosity, so I noticed it within myself, at least. I never paid much attention to what was on every one's plate nor have I paused to see what the receipt listed. I know what cheap tastes some of us have and what other tastes others of us have. It seemed cheap enough to me. But I am a tightwad, so the topic passes through my mind, as you see. I doubt my generosity this time around would ever compensate anyone for the churl I can be at other times. But it was fun.

I wish my sister was alive so she could have been there with all the people she loved and so often helped. I can't say I think of her often, but it's almost always too much for me to handle when I do. Maybe it's better this way. For now.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you all had a good time. I know the feeling of wishing a past relative could be at the table with the rest of the family. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping in, Drop-out! I need these little notes to keep me awake, though, I admit it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you...out and about, eating well, and with family! Nothing better my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)