Thursday, April 28, 2005

You're Sweet

Overheard while he had all his clothes on

"Thanks a lot," Tanner said. "You're sweet, even if you don't mean to be."

"I do too mean to be!" Sallye laughed. "Why wouldn't I?"

"Oh, I know you are," he shrugged. "Sometimes things just sound like they'd be interesting to say or interesting to hear. It's the English major in my soul, not to mention my twisted sense of humor."

"Your sense of humor isn't very twisted, I don't think," she said, shaking her head and smiling. "You're just shy, that's all. You think if you stop talking for too long, someone will catch on to it and throw you out!"

"Out of what?"

"Out of the house. Out of the club. Out of the game."

"Is that it?" he asked, pretending surprise.

"That's it," she grinned. "Now go on, get the hell out of here, I've got work to do."

"Ah ha! Uh, say, may I come back later?"

"Unless someone beats you to it," she grinned.

"Someone always beats me to the nice women," he said.

"Not if the nice woman tells 'em to bug off!" Sallye laughed as she leaned over and kissed his cheek.

Tanner walked away with a look on his smug face like he was about to whistle.


"Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit." — Aristotle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)