Sunday, April 03, 2005

The Wishing Poem

I Had Not Wept In So Long

I keep wishing that someone
Would come and sing to me
Without prevarication or illusion
Or need of convincing,
Without context or subtext
Or any intent except her own.

Come sing for me
With all that’s yours alone
And let me weep without remark
While the back of my throat begins to taste
Like years of concentrated flowers plus bile
Amid a toss of joy and sorrow,

A time like that time so long ago
When I cared for you and even for tomorrow
And tears had a feel like rain might have
Rinsing off old monuments in the sun
And everything held some expectation
Without this horrific weight upon my chest each minute.

rcs.
©2005 Ronald C. Southern


No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)