Tuesday, April 19, 2005

This Just Started

This just started, following a bad cold that won't quite end, that everything I've eaten this past couple of weeks has tasted either peculiar or tasteless. It's weird.

I remember that more than 10 years ago I had a similar severe cold, during and after which I couldn't taste much of anything except the salt in my food. Nearly all prepared foods were just too salty. My sensitivity to salt grew so great that for many months after the cold was gone, I was still self-consciously unable to stand salt and never added it to any food without first tasting it carefully. It was a couple of years or more before I got a little normal. To be safe, I still taste the food before I salt it, but frequently I do find it needs a little more salt on it now. I guess I'm an average American again. Or was, since I don't know how long this latest perverse episode may last!

I wonder if anyone else out there ever has these experiences or if most people just have an undramatic cold and then don't have it anymore?
"If one sticks too rigidly to one's principles, one would hardly see anybody." Agatha Christie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)