Sunday, May 31, 2009

Whatcha Got?

Not About Cute Puppies!

Some people worry about what I write and sometimes try to commiserate with me or "talk me down" or otherwise display sympathy. Those people are very nice, of course, to show such concern, though I sometimes wish that more of them would remember that you can't apply your normal human sympathies to a Writer. I can't claim to be a Great Writer, but I am a compulsive one at times--when I finally get around to writing, I carry on as Writers have always done. I write about things that exist and things that don't, about people I know and people i imagine, about situations and places that may or may not be real.

I'm not one of those writers who always dependably writes about one thing or even about all things in some predictable same old way. I have impersonated many men or "characters". On occasion I have written from the point of view of women, children, animals, and (once) a bright red fire-engine. I admit I'm evasive, but if you think you're reading my "code" when you find a blog post to be provocative, you need to remember that it's writing. It's not all fake, I don't say that at all; it's just not all real, either. If you are inspired to be responsive, critique the writing or its public effect on your private heart, if you like. But you don't have to bleed on me or weep over me or send red roses or threaten my life for speaking carelessly about your favorite puppies!

If I were held accountable for every extreme posture or odd position I've ever taken in writing, I'd be in deep shit, I know, so I hope it never happens.

We are all here for pleasure, so show me what you've got!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)