Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I Get So Tired

Sometimes little things just turn into monsters. I decided to buy a replacement for the radio/alarm clock I've had for 20-plus years because the radio reception was getting funky. I don't really use the alarm part of it (it sounds like a submarine honk!) since I don't have to wake up and go to work. The few times I need to make sure I'm up, I can use the small battery-powered alarm that only sounds like a moderate bird twitter. Meanwhile I'm looking at those devices in Wal*Mart and trying to keep it simple-didn't want to shop all over town. Oddly enough two devices looked all right, but then I realized both the inexpensive models had Rotary knobs for tuning the radio. What kinda old-fashioned crap is that, I wondered? So then I went looking at the inexpensive cd/radio players, some of which were not much more expensive. So I listened to one and it was good enough, so I brought it home!

God, it takes so long for me these days to unpack these compartmentalized parcels, open all the boxes and plastic bags and bread ties around the wires! It's like cooking a cake or something. Worse, because then I at least would have had a cake to eat instead of that damn worthless stereo that wouldn't work! The next day I put it all back in the box, though it didn't all fit--maybe I was giving them some of my own stuff, I don't know! All that carton material they use these days for cushioning work very well to protect the devices, I guess, though I can repack them like that. So I taped it together with masking tape and took it back with a top that wouldn't close.

Once I returned it to the store, I guess I should have said that I didn't like the color rather than that it didn't work because they did their best to determine that it really didn't work! God, what an effort they put into it. If I'd just said I didn't like it, things might have gone faster, but I guess they had to determine if they could restock the item or not. I got weary standing there leaning on my cane, so I went and sat down and dreamed about bears who shit in the woods while those slowpokes fumbled with the package.

Finally I got my refund and still needed to replace the stereo. I considered buying the same one, but couldn't stand the idea of assembling and possibly taking the same one apart again. So, like a fool, I bought the more expensive one that I had also looked at the day before. It was a known brand, cost more, had buttons easier to read, a larger remote control for Mr. Fumble-fingers (me), and a sleeker, more stylish appearance. I was satisfied once I finally got it assembled. Even with all that other experience I'd just had, I still hated taking it out of the box and plugging everything in. I used to be so good at that, used to put together 6, 10, or 12 component stereo totalling two or three thousands dollars, but I'm an elderly sop now. I get dizzy too easily if I have to bend over such crap too long. So I was happy with the quality of the beast, but I was worn out, too!

After a long rest listening to the music, I had to spend a few more hours arranging the rest of room, trying to find space for the junk I'd just removed from my small desk area. I didn't move any furniture, but it still amounted to much juggling, trying out things in first one drawer or cubbyhole and then another. Everything's been moved at least once so far, and maybe I'm not through. But I'll live, at least.


If you are endlessly curious about my wretched life and cheap-jack new stereo for the bedroom mini-desk, you can go HERE or you can go Somewhere Else...

7 comments:

  1. I hate having to return anything because of the long debate over why this particular item doesn't fit my needs. Try to return a router switch with the explanation that it isn't quite powerful enough to fulfill your needs and then argue with them on how you might make it work if you move a wall or two...

    Hope the new stereo is nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be feeling some better...you wrote a lot!

    Interesting personal account and one with which I can thoroughly identify.

    Hope you got it working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...you are a riot. Well I guess if this one lasts another 20 years, you'll be set :-)

    You invoked God's name twice :-)

    I'm sure he liked that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mentioned Hell, too!

    Hey, that's quite a new hairstyle! You look like your sister instead of you. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These things never fit back in the box again, do they? It's a wicked ploy to shift their faulty goods with a minimum come back. Good on you, gaffer tape or no, you faced them down!

    Hope you're getting by, there's certainly nothing wrong with your wit, and that's for sure..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shrink: we'll have to have sex sometime; call me when you're in town!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't get over how fast technology is changing. I bought a radio alarm clock w/cassette player about two years ago. I tried to replace and they don't make the damn things anymore. Now it's alarm with CD player. If only I could find a use for the 300 cassette tapes I own...

    ReplyDelete

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)