Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Father and Son

On the Blogger Help Group there are a lot of topics that come up again and again. One is about Templates, which is something I don’t claim to know much about. It’s about how the blog looks and how it operates, of course, but I only occasionally can figure one out. People may be alerted (and very grateful) when I figure one out, but they probably miss the 4 or 10 times that I look at one without figuring out a damned thing!

Some people continue to want some new one they’ve just seen, either in use on someone’s site or available on some template free site! I just duck my head and shiver. I can’t advise anyone about that crap. I know people who can and I respect them very much, but I wouldn’t even send some inquiring newbie to them for fear I’d be introducing my friends to the devil! I mean, anyone these days could find some devil of their own, but I end up very chagrinned if I find myself adding devils to someone else’s load.

“And you put the load right on me”, goes the old song. Did it also say, “I picked up my blog and went looking for a place to hide”? No, I misremember.

I picked up my bag, I went looking for a place to hide
When I saw Carmen and the devil walking side by side.
I said "hey Carmen, come on, let's go downtown."
She said "I gotta go, but my friend can stick around."

Take the load off fanny, take a load for free;
Take a load off fanny, and you put the load right on me.


(Credit to: B. Dylan & The Band)

Something like that.

Sometimes I can be of some help to people about their templates and they are overly impressed. It’s good to get some “Thank yous” during the day and night. Some people who are polite will even thank me when I admit to failing at the task. Maybe I should just give up the work and falsely admit to working on their blog template! Then I’d still get Thank Yous! Naa; it’s possible to be that dishonest, but not for me. It’s impossible for me to be that way; I absorbed humility or modesty or whatever it is from my dad He’s been deceased these past 10 years and more, but that makes it even more important that I don’t turn into a crook. I’ll never be the man of good character that he was, but I can do my best.

I guess that’s what I’m doing when I solve people’s template or publishing or other problems with their blog, just trying to do my best. It’s a small world and sometimes my best turns out great for someone! That’s very cool. Yet my father’s conscience is still inside of me, and I can’t pretend to be any smarter than I am. There’s so many things that I don’t understand. I guess that’s one of the things that a smart man has to understand! I guess even my father knew that.

How did I end on this topic? I digress a lot, but it’s my small piece of the world here, so I don’t mind it. Hope you don’t, either.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)