Sunday, January 15, 2006

Barium Delight

When I went to have x-rays taken of my small bowel the other morning, I knew it involved drinking barium and that I’d heard many people complain about the taste of it. However, I didn’t find it either pleasant or very unpleasant, it was just difficult for me to drink the three Styrofoam cups of it and get it down in a timely manner.

My taste buds aren’t very “normal” these days, so I wasn’t as grossed out as some of the other victims (patients) that were also there for the same x-rays. If it had been a Dairy Queen milk shake, I’d have had trouble with it. No, the surprise and trouble for me was that I’d had no inkling of how long it took (more than four hours) or of how many times I’d have to get on and off the x-ray table! I’m not sure if it was six times or more, but it required so much more than usual of me that I was getting tired as well as feeling sore and strained from all the up-down of it!

For those of you as ignorant as I was, let me warn you that they need more than a picture or two. In between x-rays, I had to get down, go into the hallway, and walk back and forth in my disposable paper clothes and socks to keep the barium moving freely through my system. They needed a progression of pictures, evidently. Mine was not quite going through like it should have, so they instructed me to get dressed, go eat a snack, and then come back for more!

I dressed, went to eat, and was back in 30 or 40 minutes getting undressed again and into yet another paper suit! I guess I was lucky because I was only a couple of more times on that uncomfortable x-ray table. Two other patients I’d started walking the hallway with were long since gone home! I was so tired that I once again had to admit to myself how piss-ant feeble I am these days. Finishing up the exam on a Friday meant my results would be sent to the office of the doctor who’d sent me and that I’ll hear from them next week! I don’t know whether I want the news or not, though. Do I hope they find something or hope they don’t?

Maybe this is my imagination? Maybe I’ll go to a hypnotist next.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)