“I don't know about those days, anyway,” Marilyn said. “The Vietnamese people were dying, and we kept on worrying about the price of drugs,” she complained.
“It's not much different now,” he said. “The students in China are dying now, and we continue to worry about Literature.”
“Literature's probably more valuable, don't you think?”
“Probably. But the Vietnamese and Chinese may not think it.”
“Touché.” Marilyn laughed.
“Does that word have anything to do with 'touch'?” he asked.
“Oh... Well, I really don't know. Why?”
“Just checking. Hoping.”
“Oh, get outta town!” she laughed.
He laughed too, but didn’t leave town. He sat down beside her and hoped for the best.
Hopium
-
I have come to the end of my hope. My political life began when as a kid I
cheered John F. Kennedy in his run for the presidency. I had no real idea
who he...
2 weeks ago




No comments:
Post a Comment
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)