Friday, July 29, 2005

Old Wells Never Die

But I Wish They Would

Every so often this past week I've heard the well pump come on when I was pretty certain that no one has been running any water. It doesn't stay on too long. There's no wet spots under the spigots, at the pump or anyplace in the yard. The one toilet that uses water from the well pump doesn't seem to be running when it shouldn't, slowly or otherwise. Where else is there, I wonder? I don't know a thing in the world about the mechanics of the pump, but if it has some slow leak, why does there never accumulate enough water to make a wet spot? There was a bit of a shower earlier and there's some slight moisture on part of the pump at present, so I need for things to dry up in the pump house to take a good look. But, there again, there seems to be no pool of water being generated! Is there a pool of water under the slab of the garage or the pump house, one that never gets big enough to see and identify?

What aspect of nature or satanic worship could be at work this time? Maybe the pump switch is going on and off in response to the wrong impulses? I have no idea why the well pump would run at times that water has not been running for an hour or two! Ah, pressure! Maybe something needs to be turned a couple of screw-threads more? I don't know crap about pumps. At least with that hose-leak business, I did know how to dig a hole!

Take note: I never touched the pump when I was working endlessly on the leaking hoses, so it's unlikely that I've given it an abusive bump. I turned the pump on and off at the breaker switch. I'll worry about this tomorrow.

"He wrapped himself in quotations — as a beggar would enfold himself in the purple of Emperors." Rudyard Kipling


No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)