Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Note For Friend & Poet Jeanne Emmons

Love You

I got your book Baseball Nights and DDT and flipped through it,
Thinking how many poems I’d seen before, were even familiar,
Thinking how familiar you are to me and how good that is
And so I did not even have to read too much or too hard
But just glanced through them, caressing the familiar,
Making appreciative noises at the sounds that sounded right,
Thinking how lucky I was with my bad eyes
Not to have to read all or every one right away
But could just hold the bold blue book cover to my heart
And sigh a few sighs of affection and be blindly loving for now
And not be as judgmental as I always am with my all-seeing
But just rest here in the combination of moments,
Aware of you, precious you, who could write from so many views,
So many far-flung moments, all true, so true,
My Darling Girl, always working to see more clearly.
Me, too, from this side of cataracts and tears.


rcs.

When you are sometimes a bad person, it’s good to have old friends so good that you can’t throw them away, they won’t let you! Such a friend for me is the poet Jeanne Emmons, who has recently published her second book of poetry. I haven’t read them all, but some poems are already known to me, and most are very good ones! I recommend them to you, those of you who are as silly that way (about poetry) as I used to be about the girl who became this woman. Click here to read her publisher’s web page about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)