Monday, October 01, 2007

Birds And Swivel Chairs

I used to be an intense bird watcher back before getting diabetes and anemia and cataracts and all my other debilitating ills. It has been on hold pretty much. The cataract surgery and retina treatments I've gotten have helped a lot, though nothing is ever perfect. The last 2 or 3 days, though, I used my binoculars more than in the past year and found I could see pretty well through them again, even if it's still a bit difficult to spot bird movements with my bare eyes. More patience is required, I guess. Things that are difficult to spot among the shadows just need to be closer and THEN I can see again! I can't just stand and turn in a circle like I used to, so I drag a lawn chain with me and sit, then look first one way and then another. If this keeps up, I guess I'll need an outdoors swivel chair, if there is such a thing!

Today I could see a number (or else just 2 or 3 busy ones) of various birds: Cardinals, house sparrows, Chickadees, hummingbirds! One each: downy woodpecker, Carolina wren. Very nice.


8 comments:

  1. Hummingbirds are hard enough to spot, even with good vision (which I haven't). I have a window seat in my bedroom, it opens out on to a glen (OUR own glen, how lucky am I?) I can spend hours with a set of binoculours, just watching our feathered friends. We also have a set of pheasants and a family of grouse who call our garden home.. not to mention a rougue peacock who keeps us all awake up in to the wee small hours.. ah, but he's worth it! (Smile) Glad to know you are a fellow "twitcher". ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummingbirds are easy because they are drawn to the flowers hereabouts and are suckers (ha) for the drinking stations in the back yard!

    Twitcher?! Hey, I resemble that remark!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bird watcher?! An interesting hobby!

    Health issues...I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know you're getting to enjoy birding again. :grin:

    The Rodentia blog feed is finally working again. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any hints about where to look? Is it "lawn" furniture that somehow won't rust?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw a few on Amazon but the same models and much more can be seen here where prices are compared.

    I noted that some required some assembly which might be a pain unless you can abduct someone for that. Maybe there's something readymade... try your local Craigslist?

    ReplyDelete

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)