Saturday, July 16, 2005

Talking To A Woman's Beauty

“I often think you're beautiful,” he told her as he prepared to leave.

“I know,” she said. She sounded regretful, but resigned to it.

“And when I find you beautiful, I always fall in love with you.”

“I know, I know,” she repeated. “But don't you see, that you're just falling in love with beauty, or some concept of beauty? It's not me.”

“No. I mean, you're probably right, but no, I don't usually see it. Maybe that's it, I don't know. It's awful, I know that—falling in love with a what or a whom that doesn't fall back.”

“Of course it is,” she nodded. “It's that way for everyone, when it happens.”

“You mean everyone falls in love with beauty?” he asked.

“I'm not sure about that. But everyone at some time falls in love with something that’s not there or with someone who doesn't see the world the same. I'm sure of that.”

“I guess they do. It's sad, isn't it?”

“Yep. But you can't do shit about it.”

“I guess not. See you in the funny papers.”


rcs.

4th draft: 07/15/05
©1989 Ronald C. Southern


No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)