Saturday, January 09, 2010

Every Connection

[Those of you with sharp eyes and long memory may recognize this as a poem previously, even recently, published in this blog. In the past, I've just pasted new versions of a poem over the original. Just for fun, I'm leaving the originnal intact in it's original location. If you don't have much interest in "the process" of revising poetry, just don't read it.]

Every connection I intend
Fails at coming through.
I see failure here and falling behind,
Nor will they depart.
There can be no expectation of great success,
No way to anticipate my heart.
No way to learn the right or wrong address.

Each fork in the road is just another wrongful guess.
At every corner that I turn I see us at a dead end.
So suck it up and believe what you believe,
Which is nothing,
And let the other suckers go on by us;
They don’t have a worry that we’ll be
Famous for our sins or adored for our crimes.

They look relieved and relaxed
Even if that’s only how they look,
And I wish I could be that way—
Never feel spotlighted or trapped like a rat
By all their endless jabber while I invent
These cold false smiles to brush them off
At each wrong address and each dead end.

rcs.
Created on 12/6/2009 5:37 PM
1st revision: 1/8/2010 8:20 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)