Friday, July 18, 2008

Fugs May Be The Mothers Of Us All

I am always creating new "radio stations" on my Internet radio, "Pandora". When I recently created a Frank Zappa radio station, I was having good fun from beginning to end, but after a while I was surprised to find Pandora playing some songs by The Fugs. Although I'd forgotten them for many years, I do recall that I discovered them in high school, about 1966, maybe six months or so before I heard of Zappa or the Mothers of Invention.

The Fugs were largely a bunch of poets, writers, and other crazies who wanted to play rock music and be rude to America. Much like Zappa, their song titles and lyrics and behavior and appearance all outraged American mores and the cops. Too bad. One can even find a few black and white Youtube versions of their songs--very interesting to me, because I only saw a few still photos on the record covers in those days. Crazy shits like that couldn't get on TV or travel to Small-town, America! To me, they were only a voice from God. Maybe from the Anti-God, but something ludicrous like that, and I liked it like that! In fact, I still do, now that I think of it. They were definitely apeshit crazy in those days and that was good enough for me.

It's odd how I'd forgotten all about them for decades. Maybe the drugs back in the seventies obliterated them from my memory. I like to think it was 2 or 3 trillion other memories that came along and obliterated them, doncha know! Or maybe it was just the lack of airplay that kept them out of sight, out of mind. Radio and TV still maintain the usual old bullshit, the tight-assed prudish Company line. Things change, but not much.

2 comments:

  1. hi ron...excellent stuff...lurve the fugs...are you related to terry? have you found tha tslum goddess from the lower east side
    regards
    harpo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprised to find my system allows anonymous comments--guess I just can't remember that I switched it! Glad you liked the fugs or the mention thereof. I don't know where the 2 or 3 other people in the world who know The Fugs live these days. Apparently, the lower east side is one.

    Not related to Terry, though at least it's the same spelling. When Ann Sothern was a younger and more current actrees, we had to deny, deny, deny! Dumb girl couldn't even spell her name!

    ReplyDelete

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)