Thursday, November 22, 2007

Goodbye Winston Hello Stalin


I've finished one giant bio and started another. Finished is this one:

The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill: Alone 1932-1940
by William Manchester
Pub. Date: September 1989


and picked up

Stalin: The First In-depth Biography,
Based on Explosive New Documents from Russia's Secret Archives,
by Edvard Radzinsky, 1997


It's a move into major darkness from the spark and light of life, but I'm not very deep into the Stalin book yet. I read so slowly these days, it's exasperating. I get uncomfortable and have to soon reassemble myself somewhere, and that's the end of the goddamn book for a while. One day's reading simply isn't very much. I wish it were, but it's not.

In some senses, Churchill can be said to have saved the planet. Stalin had a nearly opposite effect. Yet, now that he's gone, he's nowhere near as Present as Churchill, though the Englishman's just as dead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)