Thursday, August 03, 2006

I DO NOT WEEP FOR MY FATHER

I cannot bring my father to life in writing,
Though I know some who have,
A mesmerizing sort of word dance
And I might invest similar motions with such dance
If only I could forget enough to remember it right.

I recently said to someone
Who was complaining of his father’s complaints,
“Why, my father was always fair with me,
he was always fair with everyone.”
I didn’t know that until the moment I said it.
But damn, it’s so true.

I should have my ass kicked for a lot of things,
I guess, but it’s too late to do me much good
Since my father’s been dead for 15 years
And everything I know about what he knew
Is just with me and in me and always better than me
And I must always remember it like that
If I'm to be any good at all.

rcs.
1st draft: 08/03/06
©2006 Ronald C. Southern


No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)