Friday, October 27, 2006

A Trifle More

It’s rained so much around here the past few days, I’m dizzy. Much flooding has taken place in neighborhoods or cities all around me. I was up last night watching the water rise in the yard and then, as always, wondering if it was time to panic when the water started inching its way into the front garage. Would the house be next? The yard had disappeared, as well as the sidewalks and roads all around. It came in about 2/3 of the way into the garage, not quite to the front car tires. Fortunately the downpour ceased by midnight and I didn’t have to keep checking the water level.

When you’re a kid, you think you can make Christmas come faster if you really concentrate on it. In a similar way, stressed adults seem to think (each flood) that they can make the flood waters back off if they just obsess about it. Both anticipations are wrong, of course. I was so stressed that it felt like I’d been working all day, though I had not. Several days of dry weather are predicted, but next week there’ll be more rain! I can’t stand it. I used to seldom (or only lightly) worry about such things. I guess I believed in my power to turn the flood back. It had never happened to me before, so why would it now? I guess that false sense of security was smashed to bits by Hurricane Rita last year. Once more I dodged the bullet as far as flooding, but I had other damage. Now I’m a jumpy old geezer.

All my life, I’ve tried to at least select things to worry about, if not to just avoid any worry at all. I guess it doesn’t work any more. I can’t even narrow my worrying to myself. Others worry me, too.

I may not pray for any of you, but I worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here! (At least put on your socks and pants.)